Menstrual disorders have become quite common these days. 1 out of 5 women complain of such disorders every other day including heavy menstrual bleeding, no menstrual bleeding, painful menstruation, premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
What is a Menstrual Disorder?
Simply put, if your monthly periods arrive off schedule, is more painful, heavier or lighter than normal then it is a disorder. Menstrual disorders or irregularities can indeed refer to any of these- duration, frequency or schedule of the period, the pain or the total amount of bleeding experienced.
What are the Common Causes of Menstrual Disorder?
Some of the common causes that can result in menstrual disorders or irregularities include,
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Premature Ovarian Failure or Early Menopause
- Uterine Fibroids
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Weight Gain or Loss
- Extreme Exercise
- Birth Control Pills
- Heavy Workout
- Changes in Diet
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Infection in the Reproductive Organ
Menstrual Relief with Yoga
Menstruation affects the different systems in a woman’s body thereby creating physical, emotional and mental discomfort. Yoga, fortunately, has an array of practices which can be used for creating outer and inner ease and balance. At the time of menstruation, an essential point to remember is in listening to your body and being gentle both to yourself as well as your practice. Yoga is an excellent remedy for menstrual disorder and science supports this. As per a study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, women who took part in yoga experienced a heightened relaxation, reduced pain, enhanced mood and increased wellbeing.
How Yoga Helps?
Yogic practices are highly beneficial for treating menstrual disorders and this has been proven. It not only increases the reproductive organs’ circulation but also increases the flow of energy to such organs along with establishing a balance amid the hormones that regulate menstruation. It helps to prevent and treat such irregularities and disorders by utilizing the energies within the body, augmenting waste disposal and circulation and cleansing the cells.
Different Yoga Asanas to Ward Off Menstrual Irregularities/Disorders
According to Dr. Yogananth Andiappan, a renowned yoga expert, breathing in yogic practice plays a pivotal role to maintain the hormonal balance within the body. Along with helping to calm the mind, breathing also helps to improve the supply of blood to the vital body organs. Practicing some simple asanas will help in opening the energy channels and at the same time improve the oxygenation and the blood circulation which in turn will help in releasing the blocked energies along with cutting down the stress level.
Although there are many yoga asanas that will help in warding off menstrual disorders or irregularities but the most effective are as follows,
- Fixed Angle Pose (Baddhakonasa)- There are ample benefits of practicing this asana including relieves menstrual pain, checks heavy menstruation, corrects irregular menstruation, will keep the ovaries healthy, reduce vaginal irritation and open the blocked fallopian tubes.
- Shoulder Stand (Salamba Sarvangasana)- This asana will benefit you in many ways namely treat ovarian cysts, reduce uterine fibroids, reduce menstrual cramps as well as regulate menstrual flow.
- Bent Knee Pose Upward Facing (Urdhvamukha Janu Sirsasana)- This asana will help to regulate menstrual flow, massage and improve the functioning of the pelvic and reproductive organs and also relieves menstrual disorders.
- Reclining Hero Stretch (Supta Virasana)- This asana will reduce menstrual pain as well as tone the reproductive and pelvic organs.
- Extended Triangle Pose (Utthita Trikonasana)- This asana will also help to cure different forms of menstrual problems.
If you are suffering from irregular periods or any related disorders, then do not get frightened as you are not alone. Just consult your gynecologist to find out the type and causes of your disorder. Once diagnosed you can join yoga classes to get it cured. Along with this, have a healthy and balanced diet, destress and take good care of yourself. Yoga is a mainstay to help relieve common menstrual complaints. It can help to improve the mood, heighten relaxation, reduce pain and increase well-being.
Yoga is highly preferred because it is a natural means to treat menstrual problems and is sans side-effects. You just need to invest a couple of minutes daily and see how these yoga postures help you to deal with your menstrual disorders and at the same time make you flexible, fitter and healthier. Yoga is an extremely precious gift that will enrich your life and help you attain a balanced mind and body. Always remember doing yoga every day will keep your menstrual disorders at bay.